Sunday, February 17, 2008

Looking Back

It is said that the past is never quite what we make of it.

Heh, I'm listening to Def Leppard's "Run Riot" an overlooked little gem on a shitty album. Yes, shitty is a grown up word to use. Anyway, the point is this song has been around with me for close to a decade and I only listen to it NOW. It rocks, like the band has stopped doing.

So if the past made me associate Def Leppard with vaguely exciting and occasionally sappy songs over a highly pop-metal approach, then screw the past!

I've been given to a little bit on retrospection because this is a sunday and the house I live in is beginning to feel like home, albeit a transient one. Which is giving my mind recollections of where I used to live in Delhi, and the possibility, now realized in actuality, that I'm never going back to it. I loved that house, with its doors and windows that never quite closed, and the beautiful terrace. And the utter sense of peace that the whole place was enveloped with. And how people would always be dropping in.

It gave me other things, more tangible, more permanent and in some ways more important. It was said to be a lucky house, anyone who lived there usually had a happy memory associated with it. I had a couple. The night (almost 2 years ago) when she said yes, the morning I got my admit. On both occasions I jumped up and down, just feeling happy.

It's funny how some houses are happy and others sad. And nothing feels as lonely as an empty house.

I never really liked any place I've stayed in. But D-I/76 Rabindra Nagar was as close as it has come to the happiest place I've been.

1 comment:

colours said...

will write a letter to the guv'ment explaining how ur attached to the place and when enough money is collected buy it from the guv'ment :)i'm sure they'll understand. now that we're grown ups too