Saturday, January 7, 2012

Saturday Morning Breakfast Metaphor

Many times I have moaned about the loss of the music of rock, however it seems that the rock stars turned into investment bankers:


sexism? check.

misogyny? check.

a realization that most of them are just lucky to be there, but being cocky instead of grateful? check.

a tendency to engage with drugs and women of questionable morality? check!

I should re-phrase: there is a lot in this of the sort of rock and roll I actively dislike, which is why I never warmed up much to Led Zeppelin what with their wanting to be back door men and all. Somehow they're okay, but when Poison did the same, ohnomygod that is awful.

Probably this is also why I prefer the very uncool Iron Maiden ("born by quest for fire/ they roamed across the land" ha ha oh relly mr dickinson) as my favorite band; I also tend to have a preference for working class bands - early Metallica, early Maiden, Motorhead, and Tesla. They're a bit cheesy - though some Motorhead is an exception - but its raw and honest, sort of like a god-fearing piece of sushi.

But I digress from my point: as much as we might despise the rock star, he/she is necessary to provide the sexiness, the move and the shake. The rock star is the capitalist ideal in human form, and the extreme example tells the story. Annoying, simple, depraved, but what a great avenue to showcase the creativity and solidarity of man. They're rock bands remember working within a limited range - this isn't jazz.

I like the comparison of good rock music to say, a good burger, or a alu paratha. Thick, rich, not necessarily the most subtle blend of flavors, but a good source of fuel. I'm in good company here, Anthony Bourdain and other celeb chefs of the real sort say over and over their favorite meal would be something simple (Pho for instance is really simple).

So, I guess what I'm saying is: the investment banker is the rock star of our generation; we need them to get off. A basic, simple need. It's time people see this. Let us not lose the sexiness!!!

"You cannot yet imagine,
How you will dance for me;
But you will dance forever
To the tune that I decree." - Motorhead, "Serial Killer"

Of late, horror of horrors, I've been listening to some electronic music. Seems to be a natural progression of sorts.

No comments: